Monday, July 26, 2010

Opinions, please!

We have a space in our living room along a wall where our TV is at. It sits on a small entertainment unit with two shelves and a big drawer. On the shelving we house the dvr machine and the dish box. In the drawer is where we keep our dvds. At the time this little unit worked great for us and still does, but I am growing tired of the look and want something more appealing to the eye.
My idea has been to anchor an old fireplace mantle to the wall and hang our flat screen above it. I have already found the perfect rustic white mantle at a local antique shop. What do you ladies think of this idea?
Here is a picture of what Maria at Dreamy Whites did with a mantle. I think it makes a great focal point and decorative piece. The mantle I have found looks very similar to the one in Maria's picture. Imagine that mantle as the focal point on my wall with the flat screen hung above it.
Photo courtesy of Dreamy Whites
Here are the pros and cons of my idea:

Pros:
Cleaner, simpler look
Could decorate the mantle according to the seasons
It's white!
Cons:
Where would I put the dish network box?
Where would I put the DVR player?
CoRdS!!!

Here is another neat use of a mantle over a clawfoot tub.
photo courtesty of Country Living

So, what's your vote? Mantle or no mantle? Good idea or bad idea? I have been tossing this idea back in forth in my head for a few months now! It's kind of an expensive purchase, that is why I want to make sure I am doing the right thing! Your opinion would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks in advance!

~K

4 comments:

Ashlee said...

I love the idea of the antique mantel! I think you will really love the look and that you have something to decorate for the holidays. I know the downfall is where to put all your other electronics, but I wonder if could find a small cabinet or side table that has doors and the you could run the wires from the tv through the wall and through the back of the furniture piece to conceal everything. I know it is another piece of furniture to worry about and a project that could be complicated, but it's an idea. Good luck and look forward to seeing what you decide!

Amanda said...

without question, DO IT! it'd be so easy to stash the electronics in a nearby cabinet/on a table etc. old empty antique mantel = love and you seriously may have just given me an idea for our living room wall! can't wait to see what you decide!

Megan Rempe said...

I think that it would look really good in your living room it has been a long time since i have been in the Westphal house but if i remember correctly i know exactly where you are talking about. I say do it and find a cute little white table to set beside it and put the boxes and things on that.

tara said...

This is is a hard one, cause the reality is you will always have a lot of wires cause "the man" needs his TV and well it is a give and take when it comes to decorating, so I think before you just go for it, really think it out cause you don't want the wires hanging in, and make sure you find the right stand to have next to your mantle, you don't want to outshine the mantle...we just got a new flat screen and had to jimmy rig everything to fit in one space, and it was a pain and I probably should have thought it out better, but the pool man fixed it...thank goodness...so I think it will look pretty, just make sure to think it all out!! sorry long answer!! lol!